1 Shipping & Returns
1.1 Do you ship?
Yes. We offer multiple shipping methods from two carriers: United Parcel Service (UPS) and United States Postal Service (USPS). The customer may select which carrier to use for shipment at time of checkout.
1.2 How is shipping calculated?
Shipping rates are calculated by EasyPost, based on current rates for weight and destination of each item.
1.3 What countries do you ship to?
Currently, we only ship to the United States. We plan to expand our shipping operations as we go.
If your country is not currently shipped to and you are interested in shopping on our website, please let us know by emailing [email protected] and we will take your request into account as we decide how to proceed.
1.4 What is your general return policy?
Our general return policy allows for most items to be returned within 14 days of purchase, as long as the items are undamaged and packaging is unopened (i.e., in "new" condition).
1.5 Do I have to pay for return shipping?
Unless the return arises out of a fault on the part of Copperfield's, such as an incorrect or defective item sent, the customer is responsible for the costs of return shipping.
1.6 Who is liable if items are damaged or lost on a return shipment?
Unless the return arises out of a fault on the part of Copperfield's, the customer is responsible for the costs of loss or damage in transit of the return shipment.
Copperfield's will not be able to complete a return transaction—including a refund or credit—unless the items in question are physically received by Copperfield's. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Customers are strongly encouraged to purchase insurance for return shipments.
1.7 Are there certain types of items that have special considerations for returns?
Yes. The three types of items that shoppers should be aware of in regards to potential returns before purchasing are packaged and/or sealed items; items sold on our site that are not new, "vintage," "antique," "used," etc.; and wearable items.
- Packaged and/or Sealed Items: In order for a packaged item to be considered in "new" condition—and therefore eligible for return—its packaging must not be damaged, torn, or soiled in any way. Shrink-wrap and other forms of sealed packaging must be unbroken.
- Not-New Items: All not-new items are sold "As Is" and will usually exhibit a certain amount of defect and damage. The customer should look at all photographs and read all descriptions carefully—any condition issues noted or portrayed on the item's page are not considered legitimate reasons for return.
Additionally, all not-new items are sold for their collectible quality, and the continued functionality of any not-new item is NOT GUARANTEED. Therefore, any breakage, loss of parts or functionality, or other form of unusablity that develops in the course of the customer's use of the not-new items will not be eligible grounds for refund. It is recommended that the customer take the item to a specialist for repair. Some common examples of such items include:
- Jewelry: gemstones that come loose and fall out during the course of wear
- Mechanical Items: items such as typewriters or wristwatches that need conditioning, tune-ups, or repair after use
- Untested Items: some items, such as gas appliances are usually not tested by Copperfield's to verify functionality; as with all items, these are sold for their collectibility or decorative value. If a customer later discovers that such functionality is missing on an item advertised as "untested," that will not be a legitimate reason for return.
- Wearable Items: Wearable items, such as scarves, gloves, or other accessories, as well as any clothing items must be in new condition for return. Visual wear such as holes or rips, as well as any non-visible condition problems, such as odors, will render the item unsuitable for return.
1.8 Can I return an item if it has a defect or arrives damaged?
You may return an item if it is in its original condition for any reason if you do so within 14 days. You should inspect your purchased items as soon as possible after you receive them.
We strive to inspect each item we ship out for any problems in order to prevent this kind of situation, but we certainly want to help you if you receive an item that is defective. Please initiate a return for such an item, or contact us at [email protected].
It is best to contact us within your 14-day window for returns. If your request is submitted outside the 14-day return window, eligibility is not guaranteed and permission for return will be at the sole discretion of Copperfield's staff.
If you are dissatisfied with an item you have purchased for reasons that are not related to damage or defect, but it is no longer in returnable condition, we encourage you to contact the item's manufacturer. Please contact us and we will be happy to provide you with contact information.
1.9 What can I do if I am unhappy with an item I have purchased but it is not eligible for return?
If you are unhappy with an item you have purchased, but it is not eligible for return, we strongly recommend that you get in touch with the item's manufacturer or distributor. Please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to provide you with contact information.
Some examples of this situation might be:
- You are unhappy with the quality of a product after opening its shrinkwrap.
- An item breaks during use, but you believe the breakage is due to a quality issue.